He raced motocross from 1999 until 2009 and then dabbled in 4X and BMX racing before switching to downhill in 2010. He finished 5th overall in the South African downhill Championships in his first attempt and this changed His focus.
2011 saw him head to Europe and live in a van for 6 months with friend and competitor, Johann Potgieter. It was a learning year in which the was getting 2nd place at a German IXS Cup in Illmenau against 500+ riders. He landed a spot on a the Canfield Bros race team for 2012 but an injury cut the season short. 2013 and 2014 were up and down but things changed in 2015. He went on a 2 year winning streak including 2 national championships, multiple SA events, 2 international IXS cups in Germany as well as numerous podiums along the way.
2017 was the breakthrough year he was working for at world cup level. He smashed his personal best by placing 21st at the final round in Val Di Sole, Italy! He finished 54th in the overall world cup ranking.
In 2018 and 2019 Stefan unfortunately had 2 serious injuries which resulted in 2 broken hips and more than a year on the sidelines. The only race he completed in 2019 was the SA national champonships where he finished 3rd after 9 months off!
2020 was Covid and a reset year for Stef.
2021 was finally a full season for Stef again.The highlights were 3rd place at national champs and the a podium at the final IXS cup of the year in Winterberg, Germany.
2022 started well with multiple podiums in SA and he won the national series. He made the SA world champs team again after 5 years BUT unfortunately a dislocated shoulder cut the season a little short.
Confidence is high for 2023!
BEST INTERNATIONAL RESULTS:
- WORLD CUP FINALS: 21ST (VAL DI SOLE, 2017)
- WORLD CUP QUALIFYING: 28TH (VAL DI SOLE, 2017)
- WORLD CUP OVERALL: 54TH (2017)
- WORLD CHAMPS: 40TH (PIETERMARITZBURG, 2013)
- CONTINENTAL CHAMPS: 2ND (LESOTHO, 2016)
- EUROPEAN SERIES: 4TH (SCHLADMING, 2017)
- GERMAN SERIES: 2 X WINS ( ILMENAU, 2016 & TABARZ, 2017 )
- SA NATIONAL TEAM MEMBER 7 TIMES
BEST NATIONAL RESULTS:
- 2 X SA NATIONAL CHAMPION ( 2015 / 2016 )
- 12 X SA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP PODIUMS
- 5 X SA NATIONAL CUP WINS
- 17 X SA NATIONAL CUP PODIUMS
- 9 X SA PROVINCIAL CUP WINS
- WP ENDURO CHAMPION (2015)
- 2022 SA NATIONAL CUP SERIES CHAMPION