"ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE''
He raced motocross from 1999 until 2009 and then moved to the UK for 2009. He dabbled in 4X and BMX racing and did well ending 6th overall in the UK 4X rankings. Upon returning home in December that year he purchased his first downhill bike due to there not being any 4X in South Africa. However the turning point came just 6 months later in 2010. He finished 5th overall in the South African downhill Championships in his first attempt and this changed His focus.
2011 saw him focused fully on racing and set off for Europe to take on the worlds best. The highlight of which was getting 2nd place at a German IXS Cup in Illmenau against 500+ riders. The next few seasons were plagued with injury but in 2015 things started to change. He went on a 2 year winning streak including 2 national championships, multiple SA events, 2 international IXS cups in Germany as well as numerous podiums along the way.
2017 was the breakthrough year he was working for at world cup level. He smashed his personal best by placing 21st at the final round in Val Di Sole, Italy! He finished 54th in the overall world cup ranking.
In 2018 and 2019 Stefan unfortunately had 2 serious injuries which resulted in 2 broken hips and more than a year on the sidelines. It was a very tough time but there were positives to take from the time off and Stefan now has a new appreciation for the sport and life in general. The only race he completed in 2019 highlight was the SA national champonships where he finished 3rd after 9 months off!
2020 started well with Stefan qualifying 1st at the SA national championships before Covid-19 hit and everything came to a holt. It has been a good time for Stefan to get healthy and confident to be back stronger than ever in 2021.
BEST INTERNATIONAL RESULTS:
• WORLD CUP FINALS: 21ST (VAL DI SOLE, 2017)
• WORLD CUP QUALIFYING: 28TH (VAL DI SOLE, 2017)
• WORLD CUP OVERALL: 54TH (2017)
• WORLD CHAMPS: 40TH (PIETERMARITZBURG, 2013)
• CONTINENTAL CHAMPS: 2ND (LESOTHO, 2016)
• EUROPEAN SERIES: 4TH (SCHLADMING, 2017)
• GERMAN SERIES: 2 X WINS ( ILMENAU, 2016 & TABARZ, 2017 )
BEST NATIONAL RESULTS:
• 2 X SA NATIONAL CHAMPION ( 2015 / 2016 )
• 3 X SA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RUNNER UP
• 5 X SA NATIONAL CUP WINS
• 12 X SA NATIONAL CUP PODIUMS
• 9 X SA PROVINCIAL CUP WINS
• PODIUM AT EVERY NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP
• WP ENDURO CHAMPION (2015)